Monday, November 16, 2009

Catwalk for Africa

When I think of fashion I like to think of a sense of individuality. I know it sounds cliché, you know, everyone trying so hard to be different that they all strangely somewhat end up looking the same. I am in no way claiming myself to be a fashion expert (ok, maybe I have some experience) but something about walking out the door and knowing that you look great automatically exudes confidence. So, with that being said I would currently give half of my left lung to attend Catwalk for Africa 2009. It is being held in Tunisia on December 5, 2009 and if I start walking now maybe I will make it there sometime within the next two or three years and sadly the show will have long been over. How I wish it was in Miami just one more time. At this spectacular event there will be entertainment, performances, world-class exhibits, and of course fashion. It would be terribly difficult for a catwalk event to lack fashions that would almost make you want to scream because it was so phenomenal.

I have no doubt that this event will be anything short of amazing. It is the mission of a designer to be as un-generic as possible. With new wave African designers such as Bot i Lam and Pacy Kone, international designers Imane Ayissi (who calling multifaceted would be an understatement), Martial Tapolo and Ally Rehmtullah, and more, I don’t think generic would even be an issue here. These designers are taking the traditional and making it contemporary, using new cuts with African fabrics. The clothes they create make you wish you could float so they never have to touch the ground and give you a reason to buy new shoes that feel like heaven on heels when you slide your feet in them.  I am beyond thankful that creators of Catwalk for Africa felt desire and sensed a need to recreate African fashion and to spread its influence. The parents of this event, as I would call them since they gave birth to it, say and I gladly quote, “The event was born in an effort to revitalize African fashion, redefine it and significantly increase its presence in the global market. While some may wrongly summarize African fashion to: “ethnic” prints, safari clothing and traditional outfits, Catwalk for Africa demonstrates a side of African fashion with a lot more depth, audacity, creativity and quality (catwalkforafrica.blogspot.com).” This alone captures the essence of fashion everywhere. Always new. Forever changing. Insanely unique.







2 comments:

  1. Hello Lucy and welcome to our blog! We truly appreciate all the comments and idea you will have to offer. We hope to expand our blog and are working on trying to get University professors to also post blogs as well!

    p.s thanks for that link I have a toddler girl at home and I will definitley check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love high fashion, always looks very elegant and innovative looks, like the model designs must be unique and special to carry these dresses so exotic.

    Izzy Mayok

    bowling score

    ReplyDelete